8 tracks

> Sounds like you might have stumbled on to something
> lucrative for you. My '73 Le Baron has an 8 track
> player and I have several tapes for it. What I don't
> have (and am hoping someone can lead me in the right
> direction) is a drive belt for it.  I actually have
> two of these radio/tape players and both have the
> drive belt broken. I have been unable to locate
> anyone locally to supply these.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

I bought an NOS 8 track player off ebay, and when I
received it the spindle wouldn't turn.  I opened it up
and the 25 year old belt had melted and disintegrated,
probably from years of storage in the back of a hot
warehouse.

A lot of these belts are no longer made...you can
sometimes steal them out of another 8 track unit with
major "issues", or sometimes a VCR or something.  I
found a whole stock of belts at a local electronic
repair shop; they didn't have the right one, but they
had one that was close- a little too thin and a little
too tight.  I was able to stretch it a little and it
seems to work fine, though.

Is your belt broken or missing?  If you still have
some semblance of it, you should bee able to match it
up at an electronics repair shop, and they might be
able to get one for you.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Piles of pitted chrome