Carlisle trip was a blast!

Hi all,

Just checking in after our trip to Carlisle.  My son Dave (14) and I took the trip down to Carlisle last Thursday and came back Monday.  We stayed just outside of Harrisburg.

The trip was a lot of fun, and it was also the first long trip I have taken in my Imp.  She has roughly 140K miles (odo was replaced twice by the previous owner, once when a only a few months old, and once when the car was converted to carb) on her.

The trip down 12 and 81 from Utica, NY was interrupted by an accident outside of Harrisburg where we got stuck in traffic for about an hour in the sun.  I was a bit worried about possibly overheating, but, no problem.

On the trip back up we stopped in Hazelton PA to visit Harry's U-Pull-It junkyard to look for an under hood pad to replace the one that mice destroyed in my car.  I found one 1980 Cordoba and it still had the pad.  All it cost me was the $2.00 entrance fee.  Not bad.  I installed it in the parking lot and we were on our way.  I had forgotten how much that pad quiets the engine!  (Thanks Don!!)

The three days at the show were great.  It was our first time there.  I was glad to finally meet the 'web-people' that I correspond with in the IML.  I thought we had a fantastic turnout all three days.  Saturday we had so many Imps we couldn't fit them all in the area.  (Did anyone count them each day?)

Thanks to Mark for arranging the tent.  It was worth every penny, especially Sunday afternoon.  It rained Saturday night and Sunday morning, but that afternoon the sun came out.  Boy was it hot and humid!

We didn't win the 1973 Plymouth Satellite.  Maybe next time.

Just a note.  I have always loved the looks of 'turbine-style' wheels and have been toying with buying something to replace the wire wheel covers (original equipment, but stodgy-looking, and hard to keep clean).

Well to make a long story longer, I found a set of 80s Le Baron turbine wheel covers that have the Imperial eagle in the centers.  Just the ticket!!!  My son says that they make the car look cooler now, so they MUST look good!  I will keep them on for every-day use, and put the wire ones on for show (or maybe not!).  I will probably post a few pics on my car's page so you can check them out.

(I always wondered, why does eveyone call that bird an eagle?  I always thought that it looked like a falcon . . . )

Oh, and by the way, the darn MPG readout refused to work on the entire trip - figures.  I calculated the mileage as follows:  25.9 on the way down, 14 back and forth from Carlise to Harrisburg (in VERY heavy traffic) for three days, and 23.5 on the way back up.  I know it sounds high, but that's how I figure it.  Better than I would have hoped.

Well, all in all it was a great fun time.  Can't wait to do it again.

Dan Wing
Imp1983@xxxxxxx
83 Imp, beige, TURBINE wheels,
factory/dealer carb conversion