Back on line

Checking back in to the list - We've been gone camping for the last week.

I put myself in "digest" mode while I was gone, and have just finished
skimming all the posts for the week.  I'm delighted to learn about Chris
Hoffman's beautiful 67 being featured in CA magazine, I'll be looking for
the issue when it hits the local bookstores.   I'm also delighted to see
that Ken Leighton has joined our group.  I've known Ken for about 20 years -
he is a true enthusiast who does "no holds barred" restorations on excellent
original cars - I've never seen a Ken Leighton car that was not a
spectacular showpiece - this man knows his Mopars, and how to make them back
to perfect originals!   Welcome, Ken.

A comment on the "digest" mode:   This is a real convenience to those of us
who have to step away for a few days, as it cuts way down on the number of
messages we have to plow through on our return if we want to be current on
the IML doin's.

HOWEVER, most of you are still posting replies to the list by simply hitting
your "reply" button and typing what you want to say.  This is NOT the way to
do it, folks, as you are repeating all the text, headers, and trailers that
were associated with the original message.  Once a topic like the 54 Limo on
eBay has been commented on by 7 or 8 people, the message has been repeated
back and forth on the list so many times that it has reached 15 or 20 pages
of text, most of it totally useless repetition and boilerplate.

The RIGHT way to reply to a message on the IML is to type your reply and
then delete all the unnecessary repetition of the original message and all
previous replies, plus all the old message headers and trailers.  Just hold
down your mouse button and drag it down to the bottom of the message you are
replying to, then release the mouse button and hit "delete" on your
keyboard.  Presto-chango like magic, all the useless verbiage is gone!

If there is some particular phrase or comment that you want to quote back
along with your reply, don't delete that, of course, but please, delete all
the stuff nobody needs to see again and again and again and again - ad
infinitim!

While I'm at it, many of you are still posting in HTML format.  This is very
expensive to server and memory capacity and makes the posts almost
impossible to read in digest format, with all the special gibberish
characters and weird line-wraps that are inserted when the translation
program repeats your input in plain text.   It also causes many servers to
send your message twice, once as plain text and once in your original
format.  If you want to help keep this service efficient, and easy to read,
please change your settings to "post in plain text only" - we'll all thank
you for it.

The way you do this is to go to your top toolbar on your message form (the
one you get when you hit "reply"), click on "Format", then click on "Plain
text".  Once you make this selection, it will stay in that mode until you
change it again, so you don't have to repeat this step on every message.

Dick Benjamin  (not authorized by anyone who matters to say these things,
but I think they are in everyone's interest.)