Imperial conundrum

Y'know,

I really enjoy all these posts about how Chrysler can't seem to get it's act
together with the Imperial.  I think it's fascinating.

I am not sure I agree that the 'sound' of the Imperial name is that bad, but
sounds of names CAN make a difference.  Also, I totally agree that it should
never have been called a "Chrysler" Imperial, (and, BTW,  my NY registration
says 1983 Chrys).

Mention Chrysler 300 - boom - almost everyone knows about the 'legendary' 300
letter cars.  "Now THEY were special."  (And still are.  A friend of mine has
a 300M.)

My biggest beef has to be with the styling theme(s).  Why don't the Imps have
any identifiable 'theme'?  You can always tell a Caddy from a distance.  Take
look at the BMW 'snout' grille.  What about Mercedes?  Easy.  300s always had
special styling and the Red, White and Blue badging.

Imperial?  Well, there was (is) the Eagle, but big deal.  Can you tell that
the car is an Imp from across a field?  (WE can but can OTHERS?)  Probably
not.  The styling has been good, but not identifiable.

Sometimes Imps have resembled the top Chryslers too closely.  They should
have had a distinctive difference that changed with the times, but still said
"Imperial !' .  Stick with the split egg-crate grille or the waterfall grille
or, something!

As far as the newer cars.  I like 'em a LOT.  At Carlisle, Chrysler had a
tent set up and a whole row of the latest vehicles for you to take a test
drive in.  I drove them all except the Diesel Ram.  Talk about nice.  I had
all I could do to keep the Jeep Cherokee from leaping off the ground when I
touched the gas.  And, the Sebring convertible - wow!  You could NOT feel or
HEAR that engine running.  I'm not kidding.

My son was with me.  He couldn't believe it either.  In fact we stopped at
the top of the hill away from the crowd.  Turned off the A/C and radio.
Absolutely nothing!  And this is with the TOP DOWN.  My son swore that I had
shut the engine off until I proved it by driving away.  -Awesome!

Now put THAT into the next gen Imperial and you will have a True Luxury
touring sedan.  (Just don't put those stupid-looking Circus Wagon wheels with
3 inch thick tires on it.  U-U-U-G-L-Y in my opinion.  The designers of today
have obviously grown up playing with lots of Hot Wheels cars!!)

Dan Wing
Imp1983@xxxxxxx

83 Imp, beige,
Le Baron turbine wheel covers,