Another trash or treasure story

Last weekend I went up to Southern Illinois to visit
my Uncle and go to the American Threashermans annual
convention in Pickneyville Il.  About a dozen 90 year
old steam tractors and a bunch (800) of other loud,
heavy, torquey things.  Real guy stuff!

Anyway, I picked up a local trader magazine and saw a
63 Imp for sale in Salem Il, about 100 miles north of
where we were.  When I called the guy he said it was a
white 2dr with air.  Said he had been driving it until
a couple months ago when a brake line blew.  Admitted
to some rust behind the rear wheels.  Said the
interior was pretty nice.

Saturday my Uncle and I headed out early with my
trailer on the truck because we were going to bring
his 1940 John Deere LA back from the show if there was
not an Imperial on the trailer.

When we got there the guy was working under the hood.
At 40 feet, I saw the rot and knew the car was not for
me.  HOLES in the sheetmetal all over the lower part
of the car from front to rear, not just behind the
rear wheels.  Soft spots in the floorboard telling me
that the floors were rotten also.  Add on AC but
apparently a dealer add on as it appeared to be made
for the Imp.  Motor sounded good.  Car showed 100K
miles.  Interior was decent.  Front seat needed new
fabric.  Rear seat was under clear plastic supposedly
installed at the dealer.  Chrome was good and I did
not see evidence of being wrecked.  All 4 wheelcovers
were on the car.  Headlights showed some pitting.
Grill was pretty good

It was pretty obvious to me that the car had been
parked for some time, certainly longer than two
months.  The rust scared me off and those of you who
know me know that rust does not really bother me.

I'd have probably given $500 for the car and tried to
find a donor car for patch panels if I did not have 4
major projects in the queue already.  He was asking
$1500 so I did not insult him by offering him the
lower price.  If it had been a 61 or 62 I'd have been
more interested.

I thought, one mans trash is another mans
treasure...but I expect a lot of people think that
when they see my cars too lol.

=====
Kerryp

50 Crown Limo, 57 sports roadster, 61(s) GeeA project, 64, 68 Convert, 73
http://dte.net/57imperial