Silver meets her demise...?

At 04:45 PM 8/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>If the cam
>broke, that's it- the engine needs new cam bearings,
>which means it needs to come out, and then the whole
>engine will need a (very expensive) rebuild.

Mike, a few months back, some IMLer was discussing of a method to replace
cam bearings while the engine is still in the car.  May be Tim's mechanic
can do this for you.

>If it just wiped out some lobes, maybe a new cam and lifters
>will fix it, but it may also have burnt/stuck/bent
>valves which would require a whole head recon...and
>prolly a bottom end redo as well (new heads on an old
>bottom end=piston ring blowby).  Again, mucho dinero.

I think that's doubtful.  If cam lobes were flattened, it would have been
sort of gradual, right?  Or, may be it was gradual, as you were saying the
temperature was climbing and climbing and ....  I was thinking, may be the
oil supply to the rear of the cam was interrupted by a clogged oil
line.  But that would have also killed your oil pressure readout which sits
at the rear of the cam.  Anyway, even if you have bent valves, there is no
need to rebuild the whole engine (unless a valve dropped, but that would
have made a lot of mechanical noise).  This may be your opportunity to
upgrade your cam, and even replace the 915 heads with the 906's for even
more performance!

Its understandable though that you feel you have put too much money into
that car.  So, whether you repair it or sell it or even give it to a derby
guy!  ;) I am sure your decision will be a rational one.  Our cars are
there to serve us, not the other way around.  They are just machines.  Few
years down the road, when you have more cash in your pocket, you may run
into another one, and save that one.  Who knows, you may be lucky and
upgrade to a 68!  ;)

Good luck and I am sure you will let us know of the developments.
D^2 2x68s