Temp sensor operation on 81-83s

Dick,
I have no idea how or why, but I have heard of this before.  If there is no
coolant passing the sensor it doesn't set off the idiot light. This seems
like what happened to me, since after I filled it up it eventually came on.'
Rob
Tip to those who don't already know: Don't overheat your car twice in one
day, don't drive it with no coolant and after you overheat it, change the
oil and don't try to drive home on the highway.  Also avoid the Long Island
Railroad @ 4 am on a Sunday and don't try to push your car wearing flip
flops