Please Welcome Sean and Sheila 55

Welcome Sean And Sheila;
  What you are hating is not the idiosyncrasies of a 6V electrical system
but the snags of a compromised electrical system which is on the low side of
fifty years old. In the case of a 55' Imperial, much like a 54' and earlier
models, the power steering pump is driven off the back of the generator.
This makes it difficult to convert the system over to 12V without
substantially altering the lay out of the engine accessories or the P.S
system not to mention many of the relays and gages. It may be cheaper and
easier, in the long run, to rewire the system that's there and learn to live
with it. I would recommend using a six volt battery with the highest number
of cold cranking amps that will fit on the battery tray. Another tip would
be to keep a squeeze bottle full of gas handy and squirt it down the carb
before you start the car so you won't have to crank the motor over as much.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight bezel and other trim parts.