hood latch

Don't know what year your car is, but sometimes the cable isn't broken. If
the spring is a little weak or the latch is out of adjustment, sometimes it
just doesn't pop up.  Have somebody push down on the hood while you pull the
release. Sometimes it will pop up.  I have to do this a lot with mine. The
latch is adjusted all the way down, but the spring is still a little weak.
If the cable is broken, your stuck trying to pop it with a screw driver
through the grille.
Good Luck,
Rob