waking a sleeping engine

Hi..

In addition to the excellent advice already given on this subject, if it
were mine I would most likely ( after all the cleaning that was previously
mentioned was done ) put some fresh 30 wt oil in it, maybe even non
detergent since I wouldnt plan on leaving it in for long, and then pull the
spark plugs, and ideally I would get a primer and a drill and prime the
system that way.  I would also recommend using the starter to turn the
engine without the plugs in it, while turning the oil pump with a primer
shaft, to get the lifters pumped up, get some oil moving thru all the
passages, and   make sure I had oil everywhere I needed it.

In fact, I would pull the valve covers as well, clean the sludge out up
there as well, and make sure I had oil at the top end also.  It goes without
saying to clean the top end up at the same time as the other cleaning was
done.

It may sound like overkill, and it may be...but having woke several engines
up after extended hibernation I havent lost one yet.  A few dollars spent on
some cheap oil and making sure I had oil flow and pressure in the engine is
nothing compared to the price of an ominous knock knock knock!

Thanks all, take care

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe