Silver's cam

hi,,sounds like what happened to me,,.check and mike the cam
bearings,,there probably ok,,.any metal particals are in the bottom of
the oil pan.,there not going anywhere,,cant get past the filter,,flush
pan,,or drop pan and clean..metal bits did get to oil pump,,replace pump
with a high volume trw pump,,cheap and god insurance,,new timing chain
and gear,,should not have to pull motor but may be easer to pull
pan,,..when this happened to us it ws a bad cam only,and that 440 went
on for many years,,.with the rockers off you can pressure test the
cylenders ..,hope there ok ,that a valve didnt hit a piston top,,your
cam dose not have a lot of lift and there is a lot of room  up on top of
pistons,,there flat top units...,there is about a half inch closed
clearance,,.clean the oil pickup tube real good..,good luck ,,keep us
posted,,..rick