smog pump deletion

--- "A. Foster" <monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The reason that I ask this is that most of the E.G.R
> systems that I have
> seen no longer function and the air pump, much like any
> other excessory,
> must be robbing power from the engine needlessly.

My understanding of a smog pump is that it does not have
any positive affect on the motor and can be deleted without
negative impact.  I have cut the drive belt on mine as
nothing else runs off of that belt, and this does not
affect the car as far as I can tell, but I assume that I am
getting better MPG.

I removed both the AC pump and smog pump compltely from a
1971 Lincoln for weight savings and reduction in inertia on
the accessory drive pulley and saw a jump in mileage and
pickup.

Cars over 30 years (or is it 25?) are exempt from
California emissions inspections, so this emissions related
device is almost a non issue for Imperials in the Golden
State.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area