galloping 440

In a message dated Thu, 19 Sep 2002 9:33:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Brian
Collinsworth" <67imperial@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<why is it that Holleys are the preferred carb for high performance or racing?>

Because a race is only one day! I don't know what it is about Holleys that
makes them so troublesome, new gasoline formulation that causes leaks,
excessive drying out due to heat or storage, bad float design, etc., etc., but
they just don't work well long term, without at the least fiddeling with them.
When I got my Imp it had a Holley that needed constant fiddeling, so I fianlly
rebuilt it and did a major tune up, and the car ran great, would idle down to
almost nothing! Shortly thereafter made a ten hour roundtrip to Lowell Howe for
some parts, getting 14 plus MPG, then parked the car for about two months while
it was being worked on. The car would never run with the Holley again, wouldn't
even start, and leaked like a sieve! Thats when it got its Carter, that hasn't
been touched since I initially rebuilt it and it was put on. The car will start
after three days or three months of being parked! I have never been able to get
it to idle down as low as with the Holley or get as good gas mileage, but the
trade off has been worth it, IMHO.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT