galloping 440

Quoting Brian Collinsworth <67imperial@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> If Holleys are such a bad carburetor, why is it that Holleys are the
> preferred carb for high performance or racing?

Brian, I am not a carb expert, but I am not saying there is something
inherently wrong with ALL holleys, just the ones they put on these 440's.  I
think the original OEM carb was a very cheap Holley.

I have holleys on both my Imp and
> my
> 300 and have had no problem. The one on the Imp needs rebuilt, but has
> not
> been touched for 6 years. The 300 has a crusty fuel tank and plugs up a
> filter in about a week(tank full). It has been on there for two years
> and
> still runs great.

The Carter AVS on my 68 sedan has been in there since I got the car 70K miles
and over 8 years ago.  Never been toutched and DOES not need rebuilt.  The idle
circuit gets dirty occassionally, but then it cleans itself up after some WOT.

You need to remember that these carb problems show up in statistical basis.
The carb you may have may have been one of the few buit with reasonable
tollerances, unlike most others.  Given the owner reports were showing carb
trouble even after only months of driving, its not unreasonable to conclude
that statistically, these carbs were indeed problematic.
D^2