From: dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2002 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Seatbelts

Quoting "ChiPieAlandPaula@xxxxxxx" <ChiPieAlandPaula@xxxxxxx>:

> harnesses. So you end up with a "lap belt". I never really undestood
> what
> these were supposed to accomplish? After all, in an impact the body will
>
> continue in motion. So your head still goes through the windshield.
>
>                                                          Allan From
> Billings,
> Montana

Allan, the most important thing these seatbelts will do is keep you inside
the
car in case of a serious crash.  Being jetissoned off the car is almost
certain
death.  Your car may not have serious damage, but if you are knocked off it,
you are in trouble.  This alone is a very important protection.  Second,
even
the lap belt will keep you from sliding through the winshield, even if your
head does hit the steering wheel.  All the late 60's cars had relatively
soft
interiors to minimize head injury.  A lap belt would obviously work much
better.  In the early-mid 60's only Volvo as far as I know had them as
standard
equipment.

Point is, wear these seatbelts even if they are incomplete.
D^2