58 carb replacement issues

You said that you needed an original carb to mount the
> original air cleaner assembly. I bought an AFB from a local carburetor
shop.
> It is not an original 1958 AFB, but of a later vintage. The carb has the
> correct 4.5" opening on top and fits the air cleaner just fine. However
the
> body of the carb is significantly wider than the original style. Will this
> prove to be trouble when I get ready to reassemble the engine? Thank for
your
> help Hugh.
>
>               Doug
>               58 Crown coupe

Sorry to hear it may be a year before you get to drive your 58 again.  I'm
sure all your hard work will be worth it, however.  I can see a potential
obstacle with the foot print of the carb, but if you know it fits to the
original fitting it would be hard to imagine anyone ever noticing the
difference.  Like everything else on these surprising cramped cars - engine
compartment, I mean - there is not a great deal of room around the
carburetor.  Yours may end up being too close to the body of the air
cleaner.  You may also have to reposition the coil which lurks behind the
carb and the fire wall.  In addition the already very tricky maneuvers
needed to perform engine tuning will not be improved if the new carb adds
even more obstruction to accessing the adjustment nut.

Hugh