'65 exhaust update

Hi List!

Life is really funny.  I've stressed a bit about the impending exhaust work that needs to be done on my '65 Crown convt.  As luck would have it, I was speaking with the owner of the auto repair shop next to my business this morning and he highly recommend a local exhaust and muffler company to do the work.  I have used this company twice in the past ('66 Eldorado convt and '85 Olds Toronado) but did not know they would/could do custom work.  I payed the shop owner a visit today and spent over an hour with him.  He listened, made suggestions, listened some more and showed a genuine interest in my concern that the new system be as close to stock as possible and be QUIET!  Here's the funny part.  He said, "Oh I remember how quiet and luxurious Imperials were back in the '60's.  My grandparents drove NOTHING but Imperials throughout those years and had a '65".  He went on to say he was only 7 years old in '68 when they purchased a new Imperial and he "received a whipping" for sitting in the car with the key in the "on" position raising and lowering the power windows.  How fortunate I am to have someone who not only is meticulous and has a great reputation in his field, but who knows and appreciates Imperials for the fine cars they were when new.  He is excited about doing the work and will begin on Saturday morning!

We will be using the Walker mufflers but haven't made a decision on what type of resonators to use.  We are going to try and use 2 1/4" 14 gauge alluminized pipes (same size as on my Eldo convt.) but may have to drop down a bit if they won't fit smoothly through the frame.  The muffler is a Dynamax, I believe, that is a straight shot through the muffler rather than a reverse curve.  He said it is very quiet and would allow for a lot of air flow.  That was obvious!  Also he said that dual exhaust cars sound differently than single exhaust cars.  I can attest to that.  My '66 Toronado with 385hp. and dual exhaust has an entirely different sound than my '66 Eldorado with single exhaust.

So I am, needless to say, excited about this and eager to see it underway on Saturday.  No X or H pipe for now.  He wants to try the system like the factory did it first before introducing crossover pipes.  He didn't lean one way or the other about these but wanted to try things without the crossover first and add one later if we think it is necessary.

Will keep you posted...

Greg