Virgil Exner (Was 1963 Imp styling)

Hello All;
 To anyone interested in Virgil Exner's career here is an article from "Collectible Automobile" I believe. By the way Bill, it was William E. Newberg, Chrysler's Vice President, not Tex Colbert, that was behind the 1962 styling disaster. He heard a rumour about G.M shrinking their wheel bases and demanded a crash program to reduce already established designs. Fortunately they only did this with the midsize cars, and only pulled minor facelifts with the full-size cars and A-bodies. Judging by the clay mock-ups they made most of the 62's would have been ugly even without Newberg's meddling.(consult the book,The Cars That Never Were, it's a facinating read) Fortunately they cleaned up the 62' designs considerably for 1963-64 and also expanded the short deck lid theme to the full size cars, except Imperial.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.

 http://www.imperialclub.com/ImpFormativeArticles/Exner/index.html

Virgil Exner Article.url