My '59 Carburetor woes

Well, today I finally broke down and took my Imperial to my mechanic. He knew almost immediately what my problem was, but there were a few extras that we didn't anticipate. When I put the carb together again I left the rods on that go through the carb. When my mechanic pulled them out, both sides were bent. We also found when the accelerator pump was depressed gas was only squirting on one side. My other problem is I attached the rod to the choke assembly on the wrong side, so when the throttle was open it would close the choke valve. The bent rods would explain my horrible gas mileage of 5 mpg. The car has it's power back now, and is kicking into passing gear fine. Now it is running very rough at slow speeds. My mechanic blamed it on a bad valve, but just yesterday it was running as smooth as glass, but without the power. He also said my plugs were probably fouled with all that gas running through the engine. Any ideas on this one?
Bill '59 Crown