68 Imperial Problems

Don, congratulations for your new purchase.  These are great cars.  This car
should give you many years of reliable service oafter you take cars of these
issues.  It's quite common for a car like that to have many little issues that
were neglected by the previous owner that was trying to sell it.  See my
response inserted to your text.

Quoting Don Savard <res03r3f@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>  Hi all,
> problems/concerns I have.
>    1. Brakes were "done" before I got car. it was a trade-in at a
> Saturn
> dealership and they put
>       new/rebuilt calipers, new master and booster. The brake pedal
> goes
> to about 1/4" from the
>       floorboard and locks the front brakes- the rear don't seem to
> engage but they are overwhelmed by the fronts. After a short drive you
> can smell burning brake material from the fronts only. The car
>       will also come to an abrupt stop without stepping on the brake
> pedal because the front calipers don't fully release. Where do I
> start??

Strange that a modern car dealer would accept a car like that for trade in.  I
am wondering how much money they gave them for it.  $200?  Anyway, if there was
a leak on the rear circuit, I suspect that eventually the pedal would go to the
floor loosing pressure progressively.  But Phill's advice is good in respect to
the rear.  As for the dragging brakes, replace the flexible front hoses.  I bet
its the front's that drag since they burn.  I had this problem on one of my
68's (I can tell you about my symptoms in detail if you want, it drove me crazy
till I figured it out).  Does the car pull when dragging or when you first
apply the brakes?  The direction at which it pulls would be the most likely bad
hose (or caliper).  Change both though.  If you are lucky, you can fix that
real easy.  If not, these hoses would have to be replaced anyway, and the
problem may be in the caliper.

>    3. Real sensitive to cross winds- feelslike too much swaying. Caused
> by #2????

The upper contol arm bushings may be shot.  Also, check the steering linkage
for play.  Check the tie rods, pitmen arm, and idler arm.  If all these check
out good, check allignment.

>    4. Nothing happens when I turn A/C on(I can hear Comp clutch kick
> in/out) no fan. ATC???

No freon?

D^2, 2x68s