Can 81-83 EFi Be Reliable?

Hi all,
    As some of you might know, I am doing a "restification" of an 83 EFI Imperial. While so far I have become quite attached to the car, I am concerned about its reliability when finished. Once it is finished, I will either keep the car, or give it to my father, who has always wanted one. Can these cars be reliable, or are they as prone to constant trouble as I have been led to believe? Are there steps that I can take now, when the car is somewhat "apart" that will help ensure that it is reliable? Please understand that I realize that it is a 20 year old car! I am not looking for miracles.
    I really do not want to switch to a carbed setup. Do I simply have to relegate 50% of my trunk space to tool and spare part storage? I am very excited about the prospects of taking long trips in my Imperial (I have a coast to coast trip planned for next summer), but I also want to be realistic. Thank you for any input you may have.
Best regards,
William