61 shriner

William Addams wrote.....
-------------

Are the engine compartment pics taken of the Brezout
61 shriner supposed to be correct for this model? I
noticed that mine has an oversprayed factory applied
blackout in the area of the "paint ok" stamps etc.Also
the data plate is body color and the horns and core
support have no OK stamps.My car is a completely
untouched original, no paint work or resto.

---------------
You are exactly correct.  My unrestored car is the same as yours.  The
problem results from when people make the super-restorations where
everything needs to look perfect.  The oversprayed black paint on our
cars looks pretty tacky and I would imagine restorers could not stand to
leave it that way!

Restorers also are quite taken by gloss-black paint for the painted
accessories under the hood.  Factories didn't (and most don't today) use
the high-gloss stuff (they used semi-flat) but it looks so cool with the
hood up that it's become the "standard".

I will post some pictures of the "true" original painted areas and
stamps, not to show that someone's work is  incorrect (what for?) but so
that we have a historical record of what left the factory.  As these
cars get restored these factory "imperfections" will surely disappear
(and why not?).

The Brezout car is unbelievable in its restoration and these minor
"factory" anomalies should not detract from that.  And to think that all
that work was done in France!  The Web site itself is extremely well
done and is worth a visit.  If you missed the earlier post, it's at
 http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/61shriner-us.htm.

Ken Miller
61 and 67 Converts (they may be originals but they sure aren't as pretty!)