1967 with 1968 side markers

Yep, Mark, it was model year 1968 that required side markers, part of "FMVSS
108," probably the most expansive auto safety standard ever enacted. (That's
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #108, and it is still in effect.) 108 is
why we have collapsible steering columns, recessed switches and interior door
handles, anti-glare wipers and many more things we take for granted today.

My point about the 1969 lights was that it would have been so easy to *add*
reflectors (for visiblity of parked cars) to the functional side marker lamps,
especially since already they knew they'd need both a year later, that it
seemed oddly cheap to replace one with the other for one year.

Oddly, 35 years later, the US (well, Canada, too, but many of their motor
vehicle regulations are just me-toos of the US laws) is still the only nation
requiring side marker lamps. Most (if not all) of Europe not only doesn't
require them but for some reason does not even *allow* them. It's very odd
driving in Germany at night where none of the cars has side illumination or
reflectors... especially considering the stringency of most of their vehicle
safety regulations.

And while consumer demand caused most of the world to adopt center high-mounted
stoplamps (whose benefits are dubious) within years of their September 1, 1985,
requirement on US-market cars, the side marker continues to be completely an
American feature (and perhaps the only area in which our cars' lighting is
superior to anyone else's).

Chris in LA