56 wiring

<<<<<<<<Mike Trettin wrote:
Do you mind if I ask how much the wiring harness cost you?  It sounds like
you're happy with the quality?>>>>>>>

Sorry to be so long answering, have been tied up with computer issues
the last few days. Thanks for the confirm, and the link, to verify the
location of the dashboard switches on the 56. As far as the wiring, we are
very happy with the quality of product from
Rhode Island Wiring, but I didn't buy a pre-made harness. They do have a lot
of these available, but they will also sell the wire to do-it-yourself. In
this case, that means the correct cloth-braided wire, in the correct colors,
gauges, and markings for our 56. What they use is
actually modern pvc insulated primary
wire, which is then overlaid with the braid-and-laquer to duplicate the
original. I am rewiring the whole car from stem to stern, so that means a
lot
of wire. I am also revising the colors slightly from original in certain
places
to make the harness a little more user friendly, e.g., using red with a blue
marker instead of just red, to distinguish a particular circuit from the
several others that were originally just red. But they have an amazing
variety of braided wire available, and the prices are reasonable, from about
20 cents/ft for 18 ga to 45 cents or so for
10-12 ga. Minimum length of any particular color scheme is only 10 ft.    I
probably have 250 bucks or
so in wire for the whole car, but if you have checked into how pricey
correct
harnesses are, that's a bargain. (the price gets run up a lot by the large
gauge wire used in the power seat, window, etc circuits) Of course, you do
have to be able to do the wiring work yourself, that's my
field so no problem, but it may seem daunting for someone without any
experience in auto electrics, so that would just depend on the individual. I
realize I could have bought regular primary wire to do this job for less
than a quarter of the price, but the originality of the braided wire is
important to us, even though it doesn't show all that much. That may not be
important to  everyone. If you (or anyone) has any question at all about
this project that might help others please ask.
regards,
Michael

Roger and Michael in San Diego
67 Crown Convertible  "Moby"