Electronic Cluster test. Was: Dreaded asterisk

Electronic Cluster test. Was: Dreaded asterisk

Hi,

Asterisk -cluster replaced or over 199,999.99.

As was mentioned, the Electronic cluster has a
Self-Diagnostic test that you can run.

It is on page 8-112 of my 83 FSM

"This test functions when the battery is connected
and the door, time delay, (ignition key lamp) or
seat occupant switch inputs (but not the ignition
or headlamps) is on and the diagnostic test switch
is activated."

The manual mentions removing the lower left
bezel, and pushing the red button on the left
side of the steering column.  I am not sure
but I THINK I was able to do this without
removing the bezel.

HOWEVER - I had a HECK of a time trying
mine out until I discovered that the button on
my cluster is BLACK, not RED.

So, locate the switch and be able to get to
it.  Then, open the door and while the timer is
on, hit the button.

It's kinda cool.  There will be "Fail" or "Pass"
messages and the last step will be all segments
lit to show any inoperative ones.

Turn the ignition "On" to resume normal mode.

BTW has anyone ever experienced their
cluster going blank while driving?  I had it
happen a couple of times thru the years.  By shutting
the car "off" and "on" I was able to reset it.
It is quite startling when it happens though . . .

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx

Only $9.95 per month!