heat riser valve

 hey gang ,
      ill wirte in about 708 but need to talk to
someone about my darned , heat riser valve, the thing
is lose , looked in the manueal, and  the counter
wieght is missing, someone retrofited a weight then
wired the thing open, but since is amazingly loose ,
practically comes to the fire wall, it has been making
so much  noise , which prompted a look at the valve
covers  and found a small leak. Should I A. forget
about the heat riser valve , get me exhaust system
checked , or B. put a cork gasket on my valve covers?
please let me know ,