wheel well rust

Allo,

My 76 NYB came with mud flaps that cover a good portion of the the wheel
well. I discovered last year that there is rust forming at the top where
the flaps attach (there is a lip formed there where water and crud can
collect). I haven't removed the flaps yet to find out how bad the damage
really is, but how can this be fixed? What is used in wheel wells as a
surface, i.e. instead of paint?

James