Suggestions on Disc Brake conversion?

  Hi Bob,

this subject comes up here from time to time.  Please allow me to offer
counter-point.

I had a 1963 that had stock brakes, and I found them to be as powerful
as
any car I'd ever had.  I was able to snap people forward on their lap
belts with ease, and even locked up all four once when cut off abruptly
at
35 mph.

The drums have only shown themselves to be poorer here in San Francisco
under repeated stops on near 45 degree hills, and that's not really
being
fair to them, after all.  There is a hill on the way to Yosemite that
is
called  "Old Prest's Grade".  That one got the better of both my 71
lincoln with discs and my Imp with drums.  They built a bypass road
that's
about 1/3 the incline for just that reason.  The Imperial started to
fade
a little earlier, but not by much.

Going to such lengths as figuring out a disc set-up/swap is a LOT of
work
if someone else hasn't done the engineering on a conversion product,
and
may not be 100% correct when done.  How certain will you be that
everything's as correct as possible (rhetorical question)?  Your stock
brakes have the complete support of the entire engineering dept at
Chrysler and years of installation/testing on similar or identical cars
from the factory in really large numbers.

Many convince themselves that the stock brakes are inadequate, and
follow
the logic that discs would be an improvement.  This is good logic if
you've never had a "like-new" brake system on your car that's adjusted
and
operating correctly.

I argue that your existing system's deteriorated condition may be the
source of inadequate "feel" due to worn parts (you didn't state an
explicit reason for your decision to go to discs).  If you refresh all
parts, including soft rubber hoses, pads, wheel cylinders, etc., and
adjust the new pads correctly I think that you'll be quite happy with
your
car's original brake system design.

There was recently a post about folks that make drum pads with real
asbestos (as originally spec'd).  That seems like a good idea, but I've
not tried them.  It sure seems less expensive and more of a sure thing
stick with stock

I am redoing my 1960 and could have done this change but stayed with
stock.  I did use a later dual-MC in place of the single pot unit that
came stock, but have full confidence in my car's brakes.  1966 was a
upgraded system in comparison to 1960, with the 1963's getting the
upgraded system, so you probably have a better base to begin with than
do on the 196o.

Please consider this info.  Going stock might be worth exploring.  If
the
stock brakes were a poor design, I'd think that more people would be
prone
to have done this conversion, luring the aftermarket people to what
would
be a potentially large market.  I think that the small market for 1966
Imperial disc conversions says something about what's already under
your
wheelcovers.

The folks that can't find rotors for their later-model Budds are pretty
much up against a wall (neccessitiating conversions for some to make
parts
attainable), but your 1966 parts should be quite available....

I wish you well whichever way your project winds up going, and
(hopefully)
stopping.
Hi Kenyon. Your counterpoint is well taken up. I have given the purist
thought alot of consideration. But I also have a history of driving large
americal V8 cars in my time and can remember many times the brakes giving
me a less than confident feeling when I needed them the most. As a matter
of fact, in 1967, the Imperials were all given front disc brakes. Why they
didn't put them in the 64-66 models may have nothing to do with what the
entire engineering department may have done if they could have been given
carte blanc on design, but that is not always the case. As a matter of
fact, the fusilage design for the 1966 Imperial line never happened, but
did with the lesser Chrysler models. And that had nothing to do with
engineering. Drum brakes, when properly adjusted and maintained properly
work very well. But that is not always the only senario when you have to
live in today's world with a car designed in the 60's. People drive
differently, there is a hell of alot more population where I live than in
the 60's. Many more cars out there, everyone is in a rush etc... I have
many times had a drum only car behave perfectly when everything is in
order only to have  ( a little time later) having to use excessive braking
and find a slight loss of control due to the inherent feel and movement of
those brakes grabbing and trying to stop such a large and heavy object
quickly. I don't think anyone would argue that Disc brakes just plain work
better and that is why every car comes with them. Don't get me wrong. I
ride an antique BMW motorcycle with front and rear drum brakes and feel
totally confident with them, but we are talking about a 400 lb motorcycle
vrs a 5,000 lb vehicle. And that motorcycle still doesn't stop as fast as
my 700 plus Honda motorcycle with disc brakes and ABS. I guess what I am
saying is that, at least for me, I am planning on keeping my Imperial on
the road as a driver for the rest of my natural life and I want confidence
in the brakes to be as good as I can get, but still keep the stock look at
the tires. I am confident that it is possible and will be posting more on
this subject as I learn more. In your statement and i quote :(  If
the
stock brakes were a poor design, I'd think that more people would be
prone
to have done this conversion, luring the aftermarket people to what
would
be a potentially large market. ) I disagree on this. As we all will find
out the aftermarket crowd for Imperials is non- existing outside the our
own group of people who have to design our own stuff for our cars. I spoke
with a gentlemen/ car collector last night and he has in fact fabricated a
disc caliper mounting bracket for just my model of Imperial. In fact, he
said that he is amazed that more people don't make the conversion because
it is so simple. You can use the stock spindles and there is absolutely no
grinding or fabrication necessary. It is a direct bolt on. He doesn't sell
a kit per say, but I will have more on this if I get permission from him
(It was late when he called me last night). Anyway, my goal is to make my
Imperial reliable and safe on today,s highways as a driver and some of the
mods I am doing will reflect such. I may never do this conversion, but I
have to look into it. And as far as the additional cost is involved. I
wouldn't want to put a price tag on my safety or the safety of others and
I am even considering upgraded seat belts. Thanks for your input on this
subject as not every car I ever drove with drum brakes (or any kind of
brakes for that matter) worked the same and I don't feel that my car is
responding as good as I want. Perhaps, I will try to fine tune what is
there already but I'm still only going to get a somewhat different feel
than disc brakes would give me on this car. Thank you, Bob S.