Carter troubles on a '67

I installed the newly rebuild Carter 750cfm AFB carb on my '67 in place of
the troublesome stock Holley.  In the process of installing I used a gasket
from the Holley rebuild kit to go between the new Carter carb and the
manifold.  Granted it was for a Holley, but it was brand new and appeared to
mate perfectly to the Carter.  Here's the problem; the car will not start.
Beautiful weather has proven that the problem can't be the choke (pull off).
  The Carter currently does not have a pull off valve, but I worked the
butterfly by hand during the starting process to no avail. Yes, I do need a
source for a pull off valve and will check NAPA.  Plenty of fuel getting to
the carb, new lines, filters and fuel pump.  Carb was tested on another
vehicle prior to being sent to me and worked perfectly.  All electrical
components related to ignition have also been replaced (including starter
relay).  My only guess is that the Holley gasket must be cut differently
that the Carter one would be, perhaps it is blocking a hole on the underside
of the carb that should be open?   Any suggestions?  On another note, the
constant cranking on the starter appears to have burned out the starter.
Solenoid clicks with the turn of the ignition key and battery is fully
charged, but the starter won't budge.  Will smack it with a hammer to try
and free it up today.  Any leads on a starter for a '67?  Thanks, Greg