i.e, e.g abbreviations used in Imperial posts

.................okeyyyy...............?!!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: IML: i.e, e.g abbreviations used in Imperial posts

For John Moran and anyone else,
i.e. An abbreviation for id est, a Latin phrase meaning "that is" .  It indicates that an explanation or paraphrase is about to folllow e.g. "Most workers expect to put in a forty-hour week-i.e., to work eight hours a day

e.g. An abbreviation meaning for example.  It is short for Latin exempli gratia, "for the sake of all example". A list of examples may be preceded by e.g.: "She loved exotic cars, e.g., Imperials, Hudsons, Packards and even Jerry53's funky and needy orphan of a car-a 53 Imperial, albeit not in Imperial condition.

another frequent one you may see when a reference at the end of an article is repeatedly cited is ibid-an abbreviation for the Latin ibidem "in the same place".  It is used in footnotes and bibliographies to refer to a source cited in a previous entry.
OK John, did I pull these out of my head or did I I go pull The Dictionary of Culteral Literacy by Hirsch ED et al (and others).  If you say I pulled it outta my head I will reward you severely!  Besides, what is an uncultered boy like me doing with a book like this?
Regards
Jerry Hesch C.O.A., A.D.D.
I don't know what it (COA, ADD) means cause I have Acronym-Deficit-Disorder, though my dear Karin tells me that C.O.A. means Creator Of Acronyms...other Imperialists chime in n.j.a.-not Jerry again, while some others say g.g.a.j.j.-go get a job jerry!