Out of a jamb - paint question answered

Hi, Kenyon,

Have followed your paint saga with interest.  Went
down the same road with my '60 and '66.  The '60 was
brought to bare metal everywhere.  It came together
nicely for an amateur effort.  The '66 was a color
change respray with hood and trunklid removed and the
side panels stripped , but no other disassembly.

It was my first time with a paint sprayer in my hand
and I used Sikkens paint.  I was very pleased with the
results.  Many of their non-metallic paints are
formulated for non-clearcoat application.  I would
assume black would be one of them.   You will also
save money by not having to buy all the separate
clearcoat ingredients.

In fact, the only trouble I ever had was with the
clearcoat.  I could never get it to lay right, and it
required a LOT of sanding and buffing after the fact.
Conversely, the paint itself went on perfectly every
time.

I completely disassembled the '60 and painted all the
components separately - doors, hinges, tailgate,
fenders, etc.   It was a much more manageable project
that way.  I also painted all bolts after assembly.
It is almost impossible to torque them properly and
not damage their pre-painted surface.  I figured it
would look better to paint them fully and not touch up
cracks and chips, but I guess it is 6 of one.....

Best of luck with your efforts.  You are doing your
homework so I am sure the results will be terrific.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C     http://www.1960chrysler.8m.com/
66 Crown Convertible
66 LeBaron