Out of a jamb - paint question answered

--- Kerry Pinkerton <pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd do the inside of the hood and decklid.  A few runs won't matter as
> the
> finish on the inside of stuff including the engine compartment was not
> great
> from ma Mopar anyway.
>
> Take a cardboard box, drill some holes in it and push your bolts through
> once they are clean.  That way you can paint the heads and not get paint
> in
> the threads.  If you need to touch up later get an airbrush.
>
> Speaking of HVLP, as you know, I'm fond of the 60 buck one from harbor
> Freight.  What are you borrowing as it is good to get 'used' to a gun
> and
> not be changing every time you paint.
>
> If it was me, I'd use single stage urethane instead of base/clear for
> non
> metallics.  You can put on5-6 coats and then wet sand to perfection and
> not
> worry about going through a metallic layer.  Also will look a little
> (not
> much because it's still Urethane) less plastic.
>
> Kerryp

Good advice.  I think that I see an airbrush in my future, as well as a
cardboard boxtop with holes.

On the paint, the debate between single and dual stage paints rages on in
my head.  I'm partial to single simply because it's closer to the laquer
that came on the car, and won't turn white if scuffed like clear will.  I
have a mediocre dual stage respray on my black, late-model Camaro
(passable, done before I got it).  When the car gets a nick of any sort,
the clear coat in the gouge is white until buffed out.

The HVLP unit is reportedly new and is one of the non-air rigs (have not
seen it).  It has been offered on loan by a fellow member locally.  The
price is right, and I'm changing careers, so that's going to be a big
help.  Affording the paint materials will be a squeaker as it is.  I'll
try this one out and purchase a unit for myself on the next car (thinking
about a red 1961 parade car already).

I keep looking for a paint man that has a single stage product to endorse,
but due to the fact that the industry's so focused on clearcoating
everything....

Got several people rooting for DuPont.

Kerry was up on Omni if memory serves....

I think that I'll take another look at single stage options.  Wish I had
less time to think about this and just do it, but the body work's just
taking a bunch of time to get done as right as I can get it.

Thanks for being here, IML.

=====
Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

196o Imperial LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1960/Kenyon/Page01.htm
1973 Imperial LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1973/wills/