Electronic Ignition Failure

All:    (Seeking advice on electronic ignition)

At the suggestion of the guy I bought my '67 LeBaron from, it was retrofitted
with electronic ignition, which I'm told was introduced in the 1970's.  To date
this has worked with great success, other than when it has been sitting for a
while - it always starts RIGHT up.

Over the weekend while driving home the engine "missed" and shut off, just like
that, and would not restart no matter what. Turns out the ignition control
module (small box-shaped unit) had melted, and finally shorted out.  Had the
unit replaced, and it started up/ran fine.

WHat I'm worried about is... WHY would this thing MELT? WHAT made it get so
hot?  The old one had been on the car for about 6 years, and I've driven it
MAYBE 2000 miles since then.

Is this a common failure with these units, or did it melt because of some other
problem that may be yet unresolved.

MANY THANKS - Mark.