68, R134 conversion

Here is the thing:  Read this quote from the EPA site -

Note that the Clean Air Act does not regulate the use of any of these
hydrocarbon refrigerants when they are used as replacements for
non-ozone-depleting chemicals such as HFC-134a. However, many states
prohibit using flammable refrigerants in motor vehicles, regardless of which
original refrigerant was used in the vehicle.

Now as I see it, if your system is dry, there is nothing illegal or
'unapproved' about using Duracool.  Neither is it a problem to put it in
R134 systems.  ONLY TO REPACE R12 where the R12 is vented to the atmosphere.

The EPA site seems to mainly prohibit MARKETING it as a drop in replacement.

Having said all that, when I bought my 66 300 (same AC compressor and system
as our Imperials), it was out of Freon and I replaced the gas with Duracool.
It must have a slow leak because I had to add a can last week.  It now puts
out 40 degree air.

Having done both R134 and Duracool conversions, I think I'm leaning toward
the Duracool.  It's a little more expensive (5 bucks a can vs 4 for 134)
Yes, it is flammable but so is gasoline. But you don't have the hose or oil
issue to deal with.

KerryP
Patch panels fabricated
Pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx
dte.net/57imperial
Imperials -- 50 Limo, 57 roadster, 61's, 62, 68 Convert, 73, a 66 300 and a
bunch of lesser marques