customizing

Hello all-

Interesting thread on customizing, obviously some strong feelings on this subject!! Back in the late fifties I was guilty of customizing a '51 Victoria by brand F. But the car wasn't worth much then, in fact, my Dad sent it to the junkyard after I left for college!

Someone who takes a good original and chops it up (especially a rare good original) is kind of like the fellow who
buys a rare wooden trestle table circa 1760 Williamsburg, Virginia, sands off the patina and coats it with plastic
"varnish", saws off the legs and replaces them with  modern black iron, and says "howdoya like that custom!!"

People do this all the time- What amazes me is that other people will pay huge prices for these customs! I have seen some  wild prices on these cars in my son's hot rod magazines. But most of them have been total junkers before the
torch and fiberglass were applied. They would have been crusher bait if not "customized." I have no problem
with that-but cut up a rare original?? Too much disposable income out there--------

                                                                                                                 Ted Blackington
cebuisle@xxxxxxx