Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Help with converting from Budd calipers?

I would have to agree with this one. When I got my 67, it had been sitting outside for about 6 years and had leaky calipers when it was put there. I tore them apart, cleaned them up and used modified(cut flat on one side) O-rings from the hardware store in place of the seals. I flushed the system and reinstalled thinking this would be a very temporary fix. Its been like that for some 5 years and probably 20,000 miles now with nothing more than a minor seeping from one side that was there when I first did it(my calipers were pitted and I didn't even hone them). I only have to add fluid to the system about twice per year, if that.

In my opinion, these are great brakes that are just hard to get parts for.
Brian

My two cents on the factory brake thing. Quite a few years ago, 12 or so I bought a 67 Town and Country wagon. I still have it. It has the four piston disk brakes. As I have done on All my Imperials that have the disks and most of the wheel cylinders, if you take them apart, 99% of the time I was able to reuse the undamaged old seals, but just needed to hone out the caliper or wheel cylinders and get all the old rust and crap out of the old parts! With new brake fluid and the same disassembly of the master cylinder I have had most of these cars, including the wagon give me no new brake trouble! MY Advise, go ahead and take one apart if it is already leaking and see if you can clean out the bore, a hone from any auto parts store and your drill can usually clean it right up! I really have no complaints on any of my factory brakes and I really love the 4-piston disks on the 67's -69's I have! Yes including the 440 cid, Limited slip (that still works), Factory duel exhaust, duel snorkel air cleaner, very fast, and quick stopping WAGON!  Now if I can just fix all those rear axle seal leaks I am now getting all at once...... HMMMM.... I love these old cars.......   65 Imperial and a whole herd of others here on Imperial ranch, Colorado!