AC Systems

I know nothing of car AC systems- well... I know that
you have a gas which is moved around by a compressor
through a radiator to transfere heat out of some air
which is blown by an electric van into the car's AC
ducts... but other then that, I'm clueless.

Got an e-mail from an other Mopar/Imperial owner- this
person just had their AC system converted to R13a, and
within a couple hours, the compressor stoped working
and a loud noise was heard.

Ends up the compressor's clutch (which was under a
year old) died.

That was replaced (for something like $400 US), and
now the blower/electric fan is not working at all.

Could it be that lubricant of the compressor was
skiped or done wrong during the conversion or
something?? Any ideas on this one?

I'm thinking something went wrong with the conversion
job and killed the compressor- and then after that was
replaced, the blower either died, a fuse blew, or a
wire broke causing this new problem.

___
Also on this topic- is there a way to tell if there is
any refrigerant in an AC system before removing AC
system parts? My system has not been used in a decade
and I'm pretty sure there is no gas left inside it-
but want to be safe when I remove the system this
summer/late spring. I know my system doesn't get cool
at all, and the compressor at el appears to work, so
that combined with the fact the system has never been
used makes me suspect some leaked out- but don't want
to release gases under pressure (especially when I
know not of what kind of pressure these systems use!).