MORE SENDING UNIT

Thank you both for the explanation.  My sending unit
is out of the tank, and I have opened the rheostat
housing and confirmed that the brass tab,
spring-loaded armature, and the rheostat wiring all
appear intact.  I bent the brass very slightly outward
so that I could hear it scrape across the rheostat.
However, the resistance I am able to measure goes from
0 ohms to about 10 ohms.  This doesn't sound like it's
within your parameters.  Any ideas?

Owing you a lunch or at least a hearty handclasp,
Bruce S.

If you look carefully at what moves as the float arm
swings, you'll see
tiny brass contact which slides along the wires of the
rheostat, this
moving
contact point brings more and more wire length into
the circuit as the
float
arm drops, thus raising the resistance to the 70-80
Ohm range.  These
values
are NOT critical - if you have this sort of resistance
variation,
anywhere
in the ballpark of these number (say within 30%), the
fuel gauge should
work
pretty well..

If the sender is doing all this, your problem is
probably elsewhere.