Need help on 56 mirror mounting

Could use some advice on mounting a right-side outside mirror on our 56
sedan.  The car didn't come with one but I picked up a nice correct stock
one on ebay.
I had intended to drill the holes in the door to exactly match the driver
door
mounting, but that would leave the mirror useless; even if adjusted all the
way inboard, you would see about
3 lanes over to the right. Trouble is,
there doesn't seem to be any feasible
mounting postion which gives the correct field of vision in the mirror.
Now I'm wondering if the right hand mirror is different; maybe I have
two lefts??   So, any 55-56 experts
out there - where should the holes
be drilled for the RH mirror, and are the mirrors the same left and right?
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Michael

Roger and Michael in San Diego