Front-end Rebuilding

I'd suggest coating everything that is compression fit together such as bushings and such with grease as you assemble it.

Polyurethane is more durable, but is normally stiffer, as posted earlier.  If there is an option on durometer (hardness), go soft.  You may have to ask the manufacturer if there is more than one durometer - the parts guy won't know.

I'd personally put in stock stuff, save a few dollars (hopefully), and deal with the consequences in 25 years if it really comes down to it.

The Imp stuff's not the same as the full size chryslers in some cases.  My 1960 was certainly different.

I got my stuff from Bernbaum's and was satisfied.  Neither thrilled or upset is what I'm saying.

I reused my ball joints on the speculation that 65k wasn't enough to justify replacement, but had a devil of a time finding new ball joint dust boots by themselves after I ruined mine, so take care of whatever ones you deal with.

This procedure isn't a big deal, and will really make the car feel tight once done.  Good luck.

-Kenyon

dan.donna.m@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello All!!!
I am hoping that athose of you in the IML who have gone thru the 'front-end-
rebuild' thing can offer some first hand info here. I want to redo the front-
end of both my '66 Crown convertibles. I figure if I am going to do this I
would like to do it the right way and only once (in my lifetime anyway). I was
talking to a mechanic at one of our local shops and he said that the
polyurathane (spelling?) bushings and such will last a lot longer than say
MOOG or TRW products BUT !!!!!! that I should expect the poly's to 'squeek'
for a LOOOONNNG time once they are installed. I haven't heard of this problem
before but was wondering if any of you out there in IML-land could tell me,
from experience, which re-build kits or parts you have used and how they
performed afterwards. Also if you would buy again from the person you
purchased your own oarts from.
Thanks in advance for any and all replys! !!!!
My 4-post lift arrives in about 2 weeks and this is probably the
first 'project' I will attack......also, do I need any special tools? (besides
something for doing ball-joints ....which is going to be another 'first' for
me also....maybe I should just have the auto shop do the whole thing?????? I
greatly appreciate ANY info on this!!
Thanks everyone!!
Dan Melnik