Vacuum Advance problem

Kerry, advancing timing too far can ruin the idle quality.

Although it does not quite add up (because the symptoms were similar with both
distributors), there is a chance the centrifugal advance is not working
properly, and that's why you can advance so much w/out the vacuum advance.
Here is another thing to check.  Is the car knocking at WOT? (this condition
should be independent of the vacuum advance, but it depends on the centrifugal
advance).  If it does, there is a good chance the centrifugal advance is fine,
and you simply need to retard.  Since you have a timing light, check the
operation of the centrifugal advance.  As I recall, it advances about 10
degrees between 1000 and 2000 rpm (on my 2 68's but it is probably about the
same on the 62).  This is also an easy test, but you need a tach.

Of course, there is a chance the idle mixture can use some enrichnemnt.  When
the timing is advanced, the demands from the mixture quality increase.  If the
above does not work, try that.

Also, many vacuum advance modules are adjustable.  Look for a little alen
wrench.  You may be able to back off on the advance.

D^2