oil additives, was An oily question (little long)

oil additives, was An oily question (little long)

Oil companies engineer their additive packages carefully.  Adding another
additive in there can upset the additive balance.  My suggestion is DO NOT use
those things.  They will most likely do nothing (at best) or damage at worse.
If you really want to use the best for your engine, just use a very well
engineered oil (like a synthetic).  Exceptions regarding very old engines still
apply of course.

D^2, a mechanical engineer that knows a few things about engine lubrication...