An oily question (little long)

  Slick 50 contains PTFE which is (I am told) another name for Teflon which
is also used on pots and pans.  It's these particles which can plug up the
passages.  QuakerState and Penzoil use as a base oil from Pennsylvania,
which contains paraffin.  They both at one time listed the paraffin on the
side of the bottle.

  My dad use to use QuakerState until he had an engine failure. This was
back in the early 80's and QuakerState was also sued and paid out a lot of
money for damages.  Many people will swear by and at all of these new oil
additives.  I have used DuraLube in my 94 Dodge Dakota along with synthetic
oil. I had a complete cylinder leak down check done when I bought it with
6,000 miles on it and again at 106,000 and all of the cylinders were within
1psi of the 6,000 mile test and I get 23.5 to 24 mpg. By the way I try to
change the oil every 3,000 miles but that doesn't always happen, I do have a
few 4,000 and two 5,000 mile changes in there and I have yet to add any oil
between them.

   I think it's safe to say that some engines will react well to these
additives and others wont, why I don't know but your story is not the only
one I have heard or experienced with friends.  It all comes down to three
things, how well the engine was taken care of over time what oil was used
and how often it was changed.  After my fathers experience and my own with
QuakerState and Penzoil you couldn't give a bottle of either one, personally
I'd rather walk than use them, but that's me.

  Also keep in mind buyer beware, by that I mean be careful about what you
hear in regards to these additives, many of these companies are being sued
right now over wild claims.  I am only relating my experience.  Ask other
people you know AND trust to see what if any of these they have used and
make an informed decision about whether you want to use these additives or
not.

Dave U.
81Imp
94 Dakota