EFi Emissions test results

Hi all,
    We had a voluntary (free) emissions test centre set up in Edmonton this
week, presumably to gather data for some government initiative or other. On
a lark, I took in the 83 to see how it was doing. I told them it was an 83
dodge, (they had no idea what it was) with a 318 and 220K kms on it. The
first problem was the dual exhaust, as they couldn't figure out what to do
with only one probe. They finally decided to simply double the results. It
was a very basic test, checking for HC and CO emissions, and it passed with
flying colours. In fact, the tester seemed in somewhat of a daze. I am sure
they spent the next hour trying to re-calibrate their equipment. I had 28ppm
(330 fail) HC and 1.845% CO (3.8 fail). I decided to take in my 95 neon as
well, and it fared slightly better in the HC at 16ppm but much lower CO at
0.016%. Looking at the allowable limits for emissions according to year, the
CO limit dropped from 3.8% to 0.5% from 87 to 88. I assume that there was a
particular piece of emissions technology responsible for this (different
type of catalyst?). Anyone have any theories on that?
Cheers,
William
83 EFi
Edmonton, Canada