Checking ownership

When buying a used car, you will already need to have the title in order to register it, so you know who that person is.  As a rule, private party sales require the current owner (or seller) to sign off on the title and give it to you.  Finding owners previous to the last one I think was the issue.

In addition, if you buy from a car dealership you will never see the title because the dealership is required by law to process the change of ownership.

For vehicles purchased without a title (on a "bill of sale"), there are companies that can obtain a good title for you at a cost but again, you will not know who the last (or any previous) owners were.

As for it being a violation of the "Privacy Act", any public record is not subject to any privacy act.

Regards,
Bob

"A. Foster" <monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
No Sir;
Finding former owners is pretty standard practice in jurisdictions that
require titles for vehicle registration. If you buy a used car you need the
last registered registered owner to transfer the title to you. In the case
of a car that hasn't seen the road for some time it is no uncommon for the
owner of a car not to have the title transfered to him unless he intended to
drive it straight away. How would you go about doing that without a title
search of prior owners if you are not allowed to know who those owners are?
I think someone is getting car ownership mixed up with license plate
numbers.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side tailight Bezel and other trim parts.
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Checking ownership

> I highly doubt that any state will give anyone information about a car's
former owner for the simple fact that it is a violation of the Privacy Act.
> Doug 1958 Crown coupe
> >
> > From: Bob Smith
> > Date: 2003/06/19 Thu PM 08:24:09 EDT
> > Subject: IML: Checking ownership
> >
> > If you know what state it was last in, some states might furnish this
information (for a fee). In some cases, they charge for each owner
information. However, in California, no one can get information on former
owners due to a law that was enacted about a decade ago. If you don't know
what state it was last registered in, you are pretty much out of luck.

> > JOHN FACER wrote:
> > Hi,can anyone tell me how to trace the the previous American owners of
my 1981 Imperial.?
> > Any help would be welcom.
> > Johnny 'Jack Daniels' Facer

Do you Yahoo!?