Allegedly govt mandated 68 bulbs

Not likely... they have allowed cars with three or more taillamp and/or brake
lamp bulbs since then... '81-83 Seville for one... I suspect motor vehicle
regulations had nothing to do with it.

As for cost, they had to re-do the rear harness for '68 anyway, since they
added the side markers, so maybe it was that. Maybe the total load of the 2
side markers plus the 6 taillamps plus the 1 license lamp plus the 6 brake
lamps would have exceeded some limit of the wiring or alternator. (Although
some uses of dual-filament bulbs are grounded such that the first filament goes
off when the second one lights.)

Maybe someone decided moving the "center of gravity" of the turn signals
further toward the outer egdes of the car more clearly indicated a turn. And
what Brad said about "contrast" makes sense.

But we may never know... so I'll just go love my '67 that much more (though
I've always loooooved this feature to the point of being jealous that I cannot
see the back of my own car when I drive it).

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon

Original message attached.