Movies Still (Re-) Uploading

Server Experts,

Many of the movie files I uploaded last night show up as a "slightly"
different file size on the server, so I'm redoing them.  I noticed that
before with many .jpg files that I had done before, but I attributed that to
WS-FTP and, more particularly, the fact that I had "auto" mode selected
instead of "binary" (or the third choice, ASCII).  My questions to you guys
are:

1.  I assume it's OK, or even preferable, to upload EVERYTHING, (even the
odd .txt file) in binary mode?

2.  Any idea what would cause files to end up slightly different in size on
the server?  Certainly it seems like bad re-connects can cause that, but
anything else?  Any way to fix/patch those files without having to
re-upload?

Thanks!
Mike