'57 Brake Problem

On my '57 the brake pedal has resistance to quick depression. A panic stop
isn't
possible.  Once the shoes come in contact the action is normal and pedal feel
is
normal.  If the adjustent of the brakes is such that some pedal travel is
necessary then this resistance is really noticable.  I have been told that the
cause is the booster.  No vacuum leak or idle problem exists.  As I said, the
boost seems ok once the pedal has travled enought to take up the "free travel"
and the brakes contact.

Any ideas?
Just change the booster and see what happens?

Tim Hogan