Guage Repair Paint???

Hi Paul & Imperial fans,

I did all four gauge needles on our '62 using the Testors fluorescent orange. I think some have called it a "red" but I just found a good match to the speedometer drum.

To answer your question, you shouldn't have trouble with the glowing of your gauge needles after they are painted if you don't put the paint on too thick.

If you have a good quality small modeler's paintbrush and steady hands you should be fine. Use fresh paint (not partially dried up) and take an even stroke from the base of the needle to the tip. Rotate the needle a little bit and take a second stroke to get good coverage. Two even strokes should be all you need. The key to getting a thin and even layer of paint is to keep the brush moving and don't do any "touch-ups." Doing touch-ups or going over the needle with more than one coat will make the needle appear blotchy or slightly darker than desired when the needles are glowing.

Good luck.

-Jay Mc Kee