From: <pbrust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:49 PM
Subject: IML: Two bad compressors in a row?

> Recently, I replaced a seized AC compressor (Mopar C-171) with a new unit.
After a long vacuum and a few days to see if any leaks were present, I
connected the R-12 cannister, purged the hoses, started the engine, and
jumped the low pressure switch. The clutch engaged but both gauges read the
same: 61 pounds, the cannister pressure.

> There was practically nothing visible in the sight glass (one very small
bubble)and there were no unusual noises from the compressor. I cycled the
clutch several times with the jumper but the pressure reading in both gauges
never changed. I concluded the cylinder head(s) was bad and had another
compressor shipped.

> Exactly the same thing happened with the second new compressor...with no
suction, it's impossible to charge the system beyond equalizing pressure
with the canister.

> >From experience, I know new parts are seldom to blame and the probability
of two faulty compressors in a row (one manufactured in 1995 and the second
in 2001) is quite low.